Droopy eyelids and bags under the eyes make people look more tired and older than they are. Moreover, sagging skin around your eyes can impair your vision. Thankfully, our team at Eye Specialists of Illinois in Park Ridge can perform eyelid surgery to improve the appearance and functioning of your eyes after a deformity, injury, or disease.
Eyelid surgery, also called blepharoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery that removes excess fat or skin from the eyelids. This improves the drooping or hooded eyebags or eyelids.
Normally, eyelid surgery takes at least three hours if both the lower and upper lids are operated on. Eyelid surgery is performed using a local anesthetic and intravenous incisions around the eyes, or the eye surgeon might choose general anesthesia. This helps remove excess skin and fat. After that, a very fine suture is used to stitch the wound. Plus, bandages might be applied to support the healing process.
Types of Eyelid Surgery
- Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty: Performed to fix eyelid puffiness caused mainly by excess fat. The incision is made inside the lower eyelids to remove the excess fat. Notably, the sutures in this kind of incision are self-dissolving and don’t leave visible scars.
- Lower Eyelid Surgery: The eye surgeon makes the incision in an inconspicuous part along the lash lines and a smile crease of your lower lids. Excess skin, muscle, and fat are trimmed away.
- Upper Eyelid Surgery: The eye doctor marks the individual creases and lines of the eyelids to keep the scars visible along these natural folds. The incision is made to remove excess skin, fat, and muscle. Later, fine sutures are used to close the incision and minimize the visibility of the scars.
Eyelid surgery has rare side effects, especially when an experienced eye doctor performs it. Side effects and complications may include:
- Eye irritation
- Anesthesia reactions
- Temporary changes in tearing
- Blurred vision
Is Eye Surgery Right for Me?
There are various reasons for puffy, saggy, or droopy eyelids. Age is a common factor as collagen and elastin production in our bodies decrease gradually. This causes droopy eyelids and wrinkling in the thin skin around your eyes. You might consider eyelid surgery if you have:
- Bags in the under-eyes area
- Loose or sagging skin that disrupts the contour of your upper eyelids
- Loose skin and wrinkling on your lower eyelids
- Saggy upper eyelids
- Puffy upper eyelids that cause a tired appearance
Eyelid surgery will rejuvenate your whole facial appearance. You need to be in good health and without any severe eye conditions. If you are looking forward to restoring a more youthful and refreshed look to your eyes, you are the right candidate for blepharoplasty surgery.
Contact Eye Specialists in Park Ridge, IL
Don’t let aging deprive you of your refreshed and youthful facial appearance. Call our team today at (847) 823-2127 to schedule a consultation at Eye Specialists of Illinois.